Monday, December 24, 2007

Happy Holidays

Dear Friends and Neighbors,

As we close out the year, I find myself reflecting on the highlights of 2007 in our town of Pleasanton. I continue to be honored to serve allof you! We've worked through some rather contentious issues, and we have more yet to go! Let's take a moment though to reflect on the manythings we have accomplished in the past 12 months.

This year we opened our first public restrooms downtown, we startedwork on the Alviso Adobe interpretive park, we finished renovations on what must be the most gorgeous Veteran's Hall in America, we finished the restoration of Kottinger Creek, we’re moving forward on financing our new Firehouse Theater on Railroad Avenue, we are renovating Pioneer Cemetery, and in early 2008 we will break ground on three new ballparkson the Bernal Property! All exciting stuff, but there's more.

I’m extremely pleased that Supervisor Haggerty and I have been ableto work together for the betterment of Pleasanton. After much discussion and compromise, Supervisor Haggerty and I, through our respective staffs, agreed to Pleasanton's acquisition of the downtown railroad right-of-way, which will eventually add a tremendous number of parking spaces for our shoppers and our shop owners!

In addition, the Supervisor and I supported, and City and County staff negotiated, a memorandum of understanding on the Staples Ranch property (that 140 or so acres sandwiched in between Pleasanton and Livermore on I-580). This MOU is the document that will lead to Pleasanton's abilityto develop that property, moving the burgeoning Pleasanton Auto Mall which will allow us to continue to enjoy a steady stream of revenuefrom one of our top 25 producers of sales tax in our town, build a much needed 17 acre community park, as well as other land uses.

I just got a call from Congressman Jerry McNerney who was very excited to report that it looks like the President will sign the AppropriationsBill which includes $800,000.00 for the Radio Interoperability Joint Powers Authority - a Board on which I sit - toward funding radios and ashared frequency for all first responders throughout Alameda County andContra Costa County. This is a huge homeland security issue and it affects all of us. The bill also includes $1.8 million for a much needed San Ramon Valley water project, and $3 million for the BART bus rapid transit project!

All of these exciting projects will be the stuff of much discussion in 2008. But for now, I'm going to take a much-needed break to enjoy my family and friends over the holiday season. All three of our daughters will be home for Christmas, and Michael and I are very excited! I wish for you and your family a wonderful, safe holiday! See you in 2008.

I remain yours in service,
Jennifer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home